Monday, August 24, 2026

Learning Languages. Comical Poem No 841 by Angela Lansbury.

 I have been learning German

Think and say Deutsch when you speak

I've learned a thousand words this year

That's more than one a week


One new word a day's three hundred

Allowing none on holidays

Being lazy, tired, or busy

Or having a bolshy day


I lay awake at night

Thinking what to say

But often lack a vital word

Or one word has run away


I'm feeling very smug and proud

Enough to mutter words, not loud

Just think of all the time I take

To speak with only one mistake


I'm still perplexed by die and das

The system's failed me, I suspect

But I don't like to make a fuss

Because I'm not yet perfeckt.

-ends-

The English spelling is perfect and the German spelling of the same word is perfekt.


  Where can you learn and practise speaking German? 

Flag of Germany


Flag of Austria

Flag of Switzerland

You can use German in Germany, Austria and German-speaking parts of Switzerland.  Also Luxembourg, Liechtenstein, and parts of Belgium and Italy.

Flag of Luxembourg.


Flag of Liechtenstein.

-ends-

Please follow my blogs on travel, dress of the day, and comical poetry. Share links to your favourite posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment