Thursday, September 10, 2026

First day of Holidays - Rewritten Several |Times. Comical Poems 853 By Angela Lansbury

Today's rewrite is 

On the first day of my holiday I drew a little tree

Two little faces

Three palm tree places

four little cats

five little hats (or bats)

six little dogs

seven little frogs

eight mouths singing

nine arms swimming

Ten little hens


Next version

six dog tails wagging

seven old beds sagging

eight swimmers swimming

nine runners winning

ten climbers climbing

eleven diners dining

twelve drummers drumming


Previously I wrote this 

I was thinking that songs for children should be up-to-date and educational. I want to update a numbers song. I thought of the first day of Christmas.

It was published in 1780 so it is out of copyright. There's a website called songfinder. But I decided it was safer to use Wikipedia. I found the words

On the first day of Christmas my true love sent to me
A partridge in a pear tree

On the second day of Christmas my true love sent to me
Two turtle doves,
And a partridge in a pear tree.

On the third day of Christmas my true love sent to me
Three French hens,
Two turtle doves,

And a partridge in a pear tree. 

On the first day of Christmas my true love sent to me
A partridge in a pear tree

On the second day of Christmas my true love sent to me
Two turtle doves,
And a partridge in a pear tree.

On the third day of Christmas my true love sent to me
Three French hens,
Two turtle doves,

And a partridge in a pear tree. 

My updated version 1 Holiday with Parakeets starts:

On the first day of Christmas please draw for me

A parakeet in a pear tree

On the second day of holiday please draw for me

two cats and two red roses

three dogs with big eyes and tails and noses

four flower posies

five little fishes

six bowls and dishes

Seven swans all swimming

Eight cows and milking

nine children dancing

Ten gymnasts leaping

Eleven pipers piping

Twelve drummers drumming.


Version 2 On the First Day of Holidays In A Park

During the first day of holidays I went to the park

On a bright afternoon, before it it got dark

We swam in one heated pool

Had two cold shower to stay cool


version 2 On the first day of holidays In a Park

We rode on one wooden donkey

And climbed up two nets like a monkey

Walked on three old brick walls

Making sure we didn't fall


Version 3

We swung on one swing

And climbed up two sets of ropes

We ran through three tunnels

Asked for ice cream, full of hopes


Version 4 Holiday Break By the Lake

We rode on one little train

Which went round twice and round again

We saw three people walking dogs

By ponds with four fish and more frogs


Version 5 Holiday at Soft Play

We went to soft play at a zoo

Saw an animal or two

I saw one long-eared rabbit

Which had a chewing carrot habit

I saw two happy goats

Smiling at me by the moat


I saw three little sheep

Their white wool was very deep.

It grew dark and we were tired 

From running with toys we'd acquired.

That was the most delightful day

Which started our long holiday

Ending it was such a sorrow

But we'll have more fun tomorrow.

***


And once someone fell on muddy ground

For five minutes cried, wailed, dreadful sound

Their Mum found mermaid sticking plaster

Soon I heard giggles, lots of laughter


Then we were yawning, and ready for a sleep

At the end of the day, my eyes could hardly keep (yawn)...


So we fed animals good food

Grandma said, we must go away

I wave goodbye to pigs and say 


I promise to all of you

Grinning goats, my dears, 

Dry your flowing tears, 

Calm your alarming fears


We promise we'll come back again

To feed the ducks, and geese and hens

To feed and play

Another lovely day.


-ends-

Dears hints at deer.

Please share links to your favourite posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment