Thursday, September 10, 2026

How To Write The Perfect Poem. Comical verse 857 by Angela Lansbury

 I write a poem every day

And after ten years I can say

At last I've grasped rhythm and rhyme

Enough to do it every time


I count on fingers eight or ten

Another line, you count again

Like pairs, couplets, each syllable

Fills up the page until it's full


I count syllables in each line

Numbers of lines, complete the verse

Tomorrow will be better still

I'm better if yesterday's worse 


Today I saved myself some time

Before I start, I plan the rhyme

It is amazing what I know

I wish I'd done that years ago!


The alphabet I don't forget

Find rhymes, race through the alphabet

From climb to dine to fine to wine

I now can do that every time. 


Long ago homework was a chore

Counting syllables was a bore

I'm glad to say that now it's fun

So satisfying when it's done.

-ends-

Please share links to your favourite poems.

No comments:

Post a Comment