Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 14, 2026

That Shadow Shows The Way. Comical poem 811 by Angela Lansbury.


Fingers creating shadows. Photo by Angela Lansbury.


Last night I saw something so strange

The image haunted me today

As I'd walked with light behind me

My shadow seemed to lead the way.


It showed me where I was going

It gaily nodded up and down

It echoed, but seemed to lead me

On focused path along the ground


Leave only footsteps, people plead

Do not leave litter on the way

Walk as lightly as a shadow

Painted echo of your good day


In a painting vital shadows

Point the way that stick figures walk

The direction of the bright sun

The painter's silent form of talk


I have not, yet, made a painting

Last night's shadow has gone away

Yet the image stays in my mind

A tantalising sign today

Sometimes the light's behind me so shadows lead the way

But when the light's in front to guide, I don't see what shadows say

But left or right the bright sun shines

So you may read what fingers say.

-ends-

All this week our book at bedtime has been about English painter Lowry, famous for his crowds of leaning stick figures which seem to march across the page.

Please share links to your favourite poems.

No comments:

Post a Comment