Thursday, July 13, 2023

Reversed Letters 197

 

  Я 



The miracle chains of old alphabets

Can be learned for free online, and self-taught

Revealing old stories we can’t forget

Alpha and omega’s origins caught.  


Letters reversed remind us

Of things we have forgot

Reversed R is in toys are us

Reading and writing are not.


Hebrews and Arabs wrote right to left

Chinese from up to down

Lift numbers go from down to up

They always make me frown


I thought I'd be a polyglot

And every language learned

Would add to my enlightenment

No wonder books are burned


I've always found that history

Mixes misery and mystery

The Greek and Cyrillic alphabet

I am not quite confident yet


Writing right to left, then left to write

I see why letters were changed

A thousand years of muddle

An improvement? Just re-arranged.


Right to left and left to right

Maybe I am autistic

It all becomes a whirr and blur

Enough to make you ballistic


I've loads of books and sheets of words

I've gone to endless trouble

I put so much work into it

Yet still I'm in a muddle


I need to get this sorted out

To improve my mental health

If I teach it, maybe I'll learn it

And grow my stagnant wealth


We both know what I ought to do

Instead of writing this to you

I ought to make it clear to me

Instead of writing poetry.

-ends-

Copyright Angela Lansbury 2023 14 Friday July 

Please share links to your favourite poems.

No comments:

Post a Comment