Saturday, October 12, 2024

A Happy Bedtime Poem For Adults. comic poem number 475 by Angela Lansbury

 Why do I want to write a poem

 When it's time to go to bed?

Is there nothing more important

Filling, spilling from my crammed computer-like head?


Why don't I design a garden city?

Or a ribbon party dress that's sequin pretty

Or a useful theory which explains

And cures midnight's imagined aches and pains?


Is a poem procrastinating, just a helpful way

Of sorting out a tangled, mangled busy day

Of pushing out and clearing cluttered stress

Creating dreams from a waste basket of rcycled mess


Like baking a new cake from melted fears

A sprinkling of almond smiles and iced roses of laughter

Thawing ice cubes of peppery tears 

To make thoughts of happy ever after?


Instead of writing tomorrow's vital shopping list

Imagining I'm dancing, hugged, loved, stroked and patted, petted, kissed

Hearing the hushed voies of all those I'm glad to know

Reciting, reading a crescendo of vivid colours of the rainbow



A poem's not a waste of precious ticking time

Maybe yours -  just the old ones, but never, none of mine

Mine fit me perfectly, like hand in glove

Cliches crossed out, new thoughts knitted neatly, spotlighting love


So I can sweetly sleep, dreaming of skies of perfect blue

And northern lights in arches and waves of vivid pink

My thoughts like happy pairs of bluebirds fly to you

Refreshing us like sipping shared, long, cool, coloured summer drinks.

-ends-

No comments:

Post a Comment