Thursday, August 27, 2026

Rain's Good For The Garden. Comical poem 842 by Angela Lansbury

The rain is good for the garden

I'm glad it rained during the night

It was still raining this morning

Heavy wine was brought in daylight


The driver told me, 'It's raining!'

'It's good for the garden,' I said

'Good - for the garden,' he agreed

A laugh, and good thought in his head


I'm glad that the drought has ended

A good dose of rain's what lawns need

Though some of the plants have survived

We've grown a strange six-foot weed

The Great Mullein. Planted itself in our back garden in London during the drought of 2026. Photo by Angela Lansbury. Copyright.

What is its secret? Please tell me

Did it steal the water from grass?

Is it something that someone can sell me?

Never mind, now the worst is past

Grass turned brown in London in hot August 2026. Photo by Angela Lansbury. Copyright.

Today I was glad to see rain

Though the grass is still not yet green

I shall never again complain

Because rain's what colours life's scene.

-ends-

No comments:

Post a Comment